Thursday, September 25, 2008

Moi non plus

A morning walk, dark afternoon clouds, reading while its pouring outside, music creeps into my room from a nearby flat, meaningless, giggles-filled conversations with a few old friends on the phone, some scribbles and a few doodles, lazing on the bed, lunch and window-shopping with a friend, long ride home in the drizzle..."I am home!" and after a small talk with Mom & Dad, I snuggle with a book in the living room while the promise of Mom's ginger tea lingers...
As Pixie calls out her name and mews like a cat, I do the same...And add a song too...Then a silence - Am I being stared at? Yep - Lord! My parents are watching me - that explains the sudden disquiet I feel in my blood. Even Pixie cranes her neck, questioning me with her beady eyes...I can't kill the song - it's too late...So I sing nonchalantly...Why don't they ask the question? Let's get it done with, folks...

"Are you in..ahem...love?" Dad ventures.
I have rehearsed my answer in the past five uncertain minutes...
"Of course, Dad! With myself! Isn't self-love the most gratuitous of them all?"

Dad persists: "No comments."
I have to have the last word: "Who cares, Dad! I had only asked a rhetorical question - one doesn't expect or desire an answer from a rhetorical question...You are not meant to answer a rhetorical question!"
He too needs to have the last word it seems: "Time will tell..."
I win or rather, he lets me win: "What if Time turns my co-conspirator?"

Pixie screeches, and I mew - meow, meow, meow...Then, quee-quee-queeeeeeee...A bird song is what I sing...Any questions?

No comments: